Thursday, February 3, 2011

Suck that Marrow

"I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." ~Henry David Thoreau

I stole the quote from my favorite blog. You know, the one I mention in every single post. Anyway, as I went through my daily repertoire of internet reading, I realized that there are so many people out there (and even more whom I haven't yet found/blog-stalked) who don't understand the marrow sucking process of living fully. I see countless women (and plenty of men, too) who wish their lives away, pretending that things were better in the past or that they will be better in the future. Needless to say, this empty living is the exact opposite of how I want to approach my life.

I've seen the meanness of life. I witness the cruel injustice of fate every single day, and it makes me more determined to suck the marrow of my life. Maybe that little boy in my class can't talk or move, but his eyes inspire me to live. My classroom alone holds the weight of a million unfulfilled dreams, and I'm determined to shake the dust off of my littles, and let them know that it's okay to get back up after they fall. The marrow is sweetest when you understand the work that comes with it.

My life is a tribute to all of the incredible opportunities that arise when you dream. More importantly, I am living proof that marrow suckers don't just dream. They do. It's work, and it's sucks (literally) to suck that marrow sometimes. Don't give up, though. Life is grander, more beautiful, and more worth it than anything you've ever known before.

Suck it up.

No comments: