Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Bridal Faire

I added the -e to fair to give it more of a renaissance feel. Did it work?

Today I had the opportunity to attend my first bridal fair. I went with a friend - who is as single as I am - and we had an overall good time seeing all of the commercialized venues for wedded bliss. Mostly, I wanted free food and swag, and I managed to walk away with a stomach full of wedding cake and a purse full of advertisements.

The best/most awkward moments came when we tried to decide what to tell the vendors, who wanted to know about our "special day." Lauren moved a ring to her wedding finger, we made up fake fiances, and we even questioned the lesbian idea for a couple of seconds. When it all came down to it, though, we decided to tell the truth.

No, we're not engaged.

Yes, we were only there for the goodies.

The looks of condescension definitely made me feel good about stealing two cakes from a couple of booths, but overall, most people were pretty nice to us. And when one lady asked me if I had a date picked out, I let her know that I did indeed, but that I was just hoping that the groom got the memo for September 14. Ha.

1 comment:

Vienna said...

Freshman year I walked through a bridal fair(e) to get to the Marketplace for lunch. I was with a guy friend of mine and a vendor asked if we were getting married. I said "NO!" and apparently made a horrified face. My friend was really hurt and offended.

But they had this cake sample that was called pear mousse, and it. Was. Epic.