Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Self-Indulgent Post

Today was a complete waste of life. I slept too long, accomplished too little, and discovered that I owe oodles in back taxes. I'm hoping for a change of tides tomorrow, with a promise of jobs and friends and fulfillment galore. If that's not the case though, I'll indulge in a little blogging to keep my mind off of reality.

This cyber outlet for my many different rants is just that, an outlet. I use my blog to spill, just like I use my journal to chronicle, my planner to organize, and my toaster to toast. I'm a huge proponent of blogs and the ways they help us understand the zeitgeist of a whole slew of individuals. That said, I think that that the majority of blogs are petty and narcissistic. Who are we kidding if we think that the world really wants to know the kind of cheese we prefer or the way our hair looked when we woke up this morning? This is one of the many reasons that my posts tend to shy away from the journal-entry type and lean toward the philosophical. I know people couldn't really care any less to know about my new shoes, so I leave those details to myself.

Granted, my all-time favorite blog combines daily minutiae with deep world views. It takes talent to paint life with everyday beauty, and I appreciate seeing a life that doesn't try to make me jealous or full of pity. There are plenty of those "do it- have it- want it-all" blogs out there, and when I'm feeling really masochitic, I'll visit a few, just to reaffirm my taste for well-written, poignant, and semi-selfless blogging.

There you have it - a blogging paradox. I want people to read about my life, while maintaining that my life is nothing worth reading about. I want to remove the self from the most self-inflicted space on the internet. Well, besides facebook, that is.

No comments: