Thursday, January 28, 2010

Through the Trumpeter's Tune


As I lie in my bed, letting Chris Botti serenade me to sleep, I let the soothing jazz create a memory within my mind. I love the way that music makes me nostalgic. I remember specific moments in my life with the songs that created the soundtrack to those summers, stormy nights, or train rides across the English countryside. In addition to these memories, music also has the ability to create an alternate reality for me. For instance, I know that somewhere in my future I will dance on hardwood floors with all the lights off and all the shades open (if you must know, this fantasy also takes place in a Manhattan high-rise apartment) to Michael Jackson's "Human Nature." My life's songs come in many tunes and lyrics. I find myself through unique instances of musical deja vu, and I know that I become more fully myself as I listen to the soundtrack of my life.

{Just a little snapshot of the beauty that is Chris Botti. As if his trumpeting weren't gorgeous enough.}

No comments: