Friday, January 29, 2010

A Post for Mr. Caulfield

As one of the first literary characters whom I grew to love, envy, even mourn for, I believe that this day would not be complete if I did not pay respect to my first crush, Holden Caulfield (in the realm of literature, that is). I believe that J.D. Salinger accomplished everything I wish to incorporate into my own writing. He gave readers the stream of consciousness narratives of young adults, perpetuating the everlasting youth of our country and our individual desires to feel something unique and apart from the whole. Holden Caulfield experienced life in a vacuum; he did things for himself, and he understood the politics of a world in which he could only change his own mind. I remember the summer when I read Catcher in the Rye. It was different than anything I'd ever read before, and yet it has stayed with me more than most novels I've read. From wandering through Central Park, to broken records saved for a sister, I know that Holden and all of Salinger's other creative characters make me the person I am.


Some great quotes from Mr. Caulfield himself:

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." --the opening lines of Catcher in the Rye

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

"I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect."

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life."

"It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to."

"I hope to hell that when I do die somebody has the sense to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."


{Rest in Peace, Mr. Salinger}

No comments: