Friday, July 22, 2011

Not a Tourist



I just returned from an incredible trip to Washington DC, and I'm trying to remember all of the moments when I thought I should blog about this. It turns out that my map reading skills far surpass my memory at the moment, but I'll still share a thing or two I learned during my week-long adventure.

I spent Sunday afternoon at the National Zoo. It was a perfect day.

I pride myself on looking like a local rather than a tourist. I spent way too many years sporting a fanny pack and a bewildered look on my face, and I'm here to say that confidence and a good pair of casual sandals can do wonders for any traveler. It makes me giddy when people ask me where to find things when I'm on vacation. It happened at least three times this past week, and I proudly shared my semi-useful knowledge of the city in order to help my fellow traveler.

A portion of the Berlin wall on exhibit at the Newseum. This side faced West Germany. The other side is completely clean.

I'm always impressed by the amount of fun I have when I travel by myself. This time was no different. I stayed with my good friend, Alex, but we only really saw each other in the mornings and before bed. All the rest of the time, I wandered around the many museums and monuments of DC, not once thinking that I would rather have someone with me. I did things at my pace, skipping the exhibits that didn't interest me, and spending extra time in the places that did. I also spent as much (or as little) money on things that I wanted, and I never felt bad for making someone go out to eat somewhere that was a little more expensive. I cannot emphasize enough the joy I find in traveling alone. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I encourage you all to find a little alone time the next time you go somewhere. It's good for the soul.

A view of the Capitol, complete with Canadian flags...

From interesting (and creepy) men, to the cute little girl who sat next to me on my flight home, I'm most convinced that traveling helps to open my eyes to the other 6 billion people with whom I share this planet. We're all so different, and I'm reminded of that as I leave the homogenous land of Utah and see the diversity of another city. I'm so grateful for the opportunities I've had to see this country. I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing the world.

No comments: