Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Carefully Caring

Here's a confession about myself:

I care a lot.

I've known this for a long time now, and it continues to get me into trouble, but I just haven't figured out how to give into apathy (unless it involves annoying 18-year-old roommates). Whether it's those silly plants in my front room or a friend that I rarely see, I think my heart might hold too much too dear, and it shows. Most of the time, I feel like my caring might come off a little heavy-handed, and I leave people feeling overwhelmed by an overload of affection. I don't mean to do it, and I definitely don't expect reciprocation, but I also hope not to scare people off by my levels of adoration. There are times when, instead of making me a better friend (like I want it to), my care leads me to be a worse friend than some people deserve. No one wants to feel smothered, and I'm learning that I need to let go in order to let people be my friend, too.

Just know this, if you consider me a friend, I take that title as an honor and privilege, and I will do just about anything necessary to show you that I care about you.

But please, tell me if it gets to be too much.

No comments: