Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shoe Love is True Love


There was this time that I wore a new pair of sandals in Las Vegas, and I got some lovely blisters on the top of my feet from the thin straps. Ever since, I've had some lame-o scabs on the top of my right foot, and I feel like explaining them every time someone sees me with my feet exposed. (Which is all the time. Also, I feel like I need to explain why my feet sometimes turn all purple-y and splotchy, even though that's no one's freaking business.) Well, after the initial shock of wearing a new pair of shoes, I usually put them away in my closet for a couple of weeks in hopes that my feet will change dimensions and that the pain they caused will no longer be an issue the next time I decide to wear them. (Case in point, the awesome bronze flats I scored in Cali, but which have only been worn once in the past month.)

Today, I donned the cutesy sandals for another dose of summer foot exposure. It's true that my sausage-like feet probably shouldn't be seen outside of a nice pair of orthotic shoes and ted-hose, but I insist on painting my toenails and putting on a cute pair of sandals as soon as the weather gets above 60 degrees. And today, I just kept staring at my feet. I cannot even begin to list how many times I thought about my adorable sandals and and the way that my feet weren't freezing (or throbbing with pain). Then I thought about Sperry's, and I probably spent a good amount of time at work looking up the different varieties of boat shoes and which ones I like the best (the red ones, two holes, always Sperry's).


I have an unhealthy relationship with shoes. I don't care if they give me blisters or if they don't really fit at first. A good pair of shoes will outlive any initial impression I have of them. They'll be able to handle my rejection after the first wear as a test of our relationship, and they'll prove themselves over time to be more loyal and comfortable than I could possibly explain. Oh, shoes. With you I can be so fickle and forgiving. Thank you for always keeping my feet on solid ground (unless you're moon boots, in which case, thanks for doing the exact opposite).

No comments: