Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Dawn Knows No Reprieve

I'm a girl of the night. I love sunsets and windows that reflect the last rays of glorious orange sunlight. I always feel an ache when I notice the shortening of summer days, but I relish the emergent early darkness with a different kind of love. Tonight as I left a class up on campus, I looked out across beautiful Cache Valley and stared at the brilliant hues of twilight. Something stirred inside me, and a smile lit up my face amidst the darkening skyline. Combined with the crisp fall air, I'm returning to that all-too-familiar wonderland where bustling city streets sweep me along and fabulous green outerwear colors my life. I recognize that none of it is real, but it gives me a smile, nonetheless. Even if I'm not in a fantastic big city, I'm able to capture those moments between campus and the parking garage as something grander than the life of a simpleton. I am definitely not simple.

As I give in to the persuasion of my comfortable bed (and as the after-effects of too much Dr. Pepper wear off), I'm taken away from the night that I love. Don't worry, the soft glow in my window just means that I'm wringing out every last ounce of goodness from my supersaturated day. I love life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm really worried about your Dr Pepper habit...maybe we should go to AA meetings together....or I could just continue drinking a half a bottle of wine a night hahahaha
-me

the quiet said...

Autumn truly transforms Cache Valley into something rather grand. Beautifully written, Emily.