Sunday, September 12, 2010

One Trick Ahead of Disaster


Right now, my life definitely parallels that scene from Aladdin where he does all the fancy dodging and jumping in order to escape the guards. I'm not quite as nimble as I need to be, but I am using my fair share of ducking and sprinting in order to avoid all of the pressures around me. I'm running from adulthood. I'm fleeing the responsibilities and maturity that I should embrace. I've made it to "one jump ahead of the breadline," but it's just because I'm a split-second quicker than the others. While my parents continually warn me about the dangers of not settling down, I know that my air of restlessness is just one whiff in a world of clueless pre-adults. I read all about it online one day, and even though it's debatable and disproved by many of my more-responsible peers, I'm one of the statistics that makes this study believable. (Read more about it here.) I'm flipping through life - not entirely without a plan - maintaining my grip on reality only as far as tomorrow is concerned. Check back next week to make sure that those steadily-approaching duties don't have the best of me.


No comments: