Saturday, June 5, 2010

Desperation

My life has reached a new low. Judge if you must, but I'm fully willing to admit when I do something that might be considered "low-class" or "despicable." In this case, I'm sitting in the stairwell of a neighboring apartment complex, leaching off of their wireless internet connection. It has been over 24 hours since I last connected to the world outside my little circle of friends. I thought that I would have missed a lot - budding facebook romances, new pictures, an infinite array of status updates - and when I saw the "300+ New Updates" link on my facebook wall, I knew that I would finally feel that hole close as I stalked my way into various lives. What I didn't realize, however, is how inconsequential those mundane updates would be in the place of my own adventures.
No, I'm not gallivanting through Europe. I'm not even psyched about some upcoming concert or an unknown wedding. I'm just living a normal life, in a little town that can't decide which season to endorse. I walk through various puddles, escaping the arid climate of Utah for just a moment as I pretend that this green valley has a direct link to the Swiss Alps. I have incredible friends (have I ever mentioned them before?) and a life that I wouldn't trade for all the high-speed internet connections in the lower 48. I don't even need facebook to tell me that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily! I love this post!
P.S. This is Holly formerly known as Thomas, not happily Barker